The design pillars of smartly provocative research
Build a network
The behavioral framework of thought leadership relationships
The design process for authentic, media ready data
1. How to Build Thought Leadership Research that Gets Noticed?
The Design Pillars of Smartly Provocative Research
- Lean into the possibility of surprise: Embed a few “shiny penny” questions that have simple, surprising appeal and don’t be afraid to learn something new.
- Leverage a future-forward perspective: Explore emerging needs, desires, and behaviors to identify salient emerging trends.
- Quantify big ideas and attitudes: Choose question formats that best serve the narrative, and include a few bets on big “headline” ideas; combine attitudinal and behavioral questions to make a stronger case.
- Embed multiple angles and storylines: Consider a modular survey design with multiple “mini-stories” and audience cuts to drive multiple narratives.
2. How to Establish your Brand as a Thought Leader via Research?
The Behavioral Framework of Thought Leadership Relationships
- Broadening your lens: The more topics you explore, the more credible you are with stakeholders, and the more respect and relationships you will drive.
- Be generous with your data: Make findings accessible, digestible and sharable; consider exclusive releases of various data points to different sources.
- Become known for something: Have a long-term vision about the values and types of research you want to be known for. Consider what makes sense for your brand to own and leverage year-over-year data to build authority in the space.
- Leverage data in multiple ways: Clients often find value in data for multiple uses, such as marketing, PR, internal education, sales materials, prospecting, business strategy, R&D, and executive speaking.
3. How do You Ensure You Have Credible Foundation of Data?
The Design Process of Credible Media Ready Data
- Use hearty sample sizes: Ensure audiences are large enough to be reliable. We also recommend making them large enough to cut by various subgroups that can drive further mileage of the data.
- Leverage benchmarks and trended data: Consider topics that can be tracked to show shifts over time and establish you as a “go-to” source for types of information.
- Avoid fatigue: Focus answer choices on key themes to avoid watering down responses.
- Consider qualitative exploration: Unearth new attitudes and behaviors via qualitative methods that are then quantified and showcased to the media.
- Establish third party credibility: Partnering with a credible research firm provides objectivity that builds trust with the media and other external audiences.
Drive Credible Coverage that Cuts Through the Clutter
HARRIS POLL THOUGHT LEADERSHIP
Building on 50+ years of experience pulsing societal opinion, we design research that is credible, creative, and culturally relevant. Give your pitches an edge with custom information designed by research experts.
Get in touch
Learn how our services can transform your brand and marketing strategy.