TROY, MI – Not many U.S. residents have escaped the cold and wintery weather this year as they commute to and from work. From the heavy snow in the East to the record cold temperatures felt across much of the country, nearly eight of 10 workers (79 percent) have been impacted by the country’s recent weather conditions according to a recently released survey by Kelly Services® (NASDAQ: KELYA) (NASDAQ: KELYB).
The survey was conducted online by Harris Poll on behalf of Kelly Services from February 25-27, 2015 among 988 employed adults ages 18 and older in the United States.
According to the survey:
Three out of 10 workers (31 percent) reported partly or completely missing work due to the weather. On average, among those who missed work, nearly four days (3.9) were missed.
Employees in the Northeast (95 percent) and Midwest (90 percent) were the most affected1. Those in the Northeast and South were absent from work due to the weather more often than other regions with an average of 3.9 days missed in the Northeast and 4.7 days missed in the South.
Among those affected by the extreme weather:
- 19 percent reported their employers provided additional flexibility from their employers, such as working from home or a flexible schedule or hours.
- 10 percent of workers reported their workload increased due to co-workers being out of the office due to weather.
- About one in 10 workers took time off unpaid or used paid time off when they weren’t able to get to work or their employer was closed due to the weather —
- 10 percent used paid time off
- Nine percent took unpaid time off
- Seven percent took time off due to school closings or their childcare provider being closed.
- 10 percent reported business travel was cancelled or rescheduled due to weather conditions.
“Kelly Services interacts with both employees and businesses on a daily basis so we witness first-hand how weather conditions affect the everyday lifestyle of individuals and disrupt normal operations,” said Steve Armstrong, senior vice president, U.S. operations for Kelly Services. “Those businesses structured to offer flexibility within their workforce are often better prepared to handle extreme weather conditions.”
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Kelly Services from February 25-27, 2015 among 988 employed adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please email [email protected].
About Kelly Services
Kelly Services, Inc. (NASDAQ: KELYA) (NASDAQ: KELYB) is a global leader in providing workforce solutions. Kelly offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis. Serving clients around the world, Kelly provided employment to approximately 555,000 employees in 2014. Revenue in 2014 was $5.6 billion. Visit kellyservices.com.
1 Live in areas impacted by recent weather
2 Those who have missed any work days in 2015 due to weather