CHICAGO, IL – A new national online survey fielded by Harris Poll on behalf of CouponCabin.com among over 2,000 U.S. adults ages 18+ uncovers the impact of recent airline issues on passenger perception.
Flaws in Flying
- 9 in 10 Americans (90%) feel there are areas airlines need to improve on.
- The top 2 areas for airline improvement are flight pricing (61%) and reducing overbooked flights (59%).
- 58% of Americans say that given the recent issues in the airline industry, they would be more likely to use an alternate form of transportation rather than travel by plane.
- Over 4 in 5 Americans (82%) say an airline’s reputation with its customers influences their decision on which airline to fly.
- Women are more likely than men to share the sentiment (84% vs. 80%).
Bump for Bucks
- More than 8 in 10 Americans (81%) say an airline would need to offer them at least $1,000 to give up their seat on an overbooked flight.
- 61% of Americans would rather pay more for a ticket from an airline that does not overbook flights than risk getting bumped.
- Just over half of Americans (51%) would be willing to pay more for an airline ticket that gave them a chance to get paid up to $10,000 if the flight gets overbooked and they need to bump a passenger.
“As one of the industry’s leading sites for online savings and coupons, we are hyper-focused on consumer behavior and trends,” said Scott Kluth, Founder and CEO of CouponCabin. “Based on the groundswell of attention surrounding the airlines, we saw an opportunity to study and better understand consumer sentiment. We appreciate the value of a dollar and know our customers want to ensure their money is well-spent.”
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of CouponCabin from May 19-23, 2017 among 2,048 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Rachel Gillman Rischall, [email protected]
Founded in 2003, CouponCabin is an online hub for the best savings on the Internet and the first coupon site to pair coupons with cash back. The company launched its cash back program in 2014, offering shoppers the chance to combine promo codes that always work with the ability to earn cash back through a simple click. Since its inception, CouponCabin has redefined what it means to shop online and save.
Rachel Gillman Rischall